It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: String build question and bow id
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:23 pm 

So, I've been building my own strings for my recurve and longbow recently. I've been using the flemish twist style. My question is, can I build one for my Black Eagle? The only material I have currently is BCY 8125g. Would this be ok to use? How many stands? Would I need to do anything in particular?

My other concern is my power limb id. I seem to be having an issue maxing or my limbs. It was my father's bow and he doesn't remember exactly what year he bought it and the sticker is gone. Can I send a pic to somebody? Serial number? I think it's a 2003 but I have upgraded the outboard limbs to esc. Help please.

Thank you for the help!

Post subject: Re: String build question and bow id
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:30 pm 

You can make flemish out of any material... strand count would be the same... 18 for the 8125g if I recall correctly.

Troubles with the power limbs could be several things if you've traded out the outboard limbs. Have a look at the chart in the link I'm providing. Let us know what your outboard limb length is... which of the two cams you have... and what color your power and yoke cables are.

Gerry

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:41 pm 

Gerry, there was no link. My cable colors are red/red and blue/white. The bow was originally red/red yellow/yellow I think, that was before the outboard limb change. I have pictures of the front of the limbs and the entire bow but can't upload them here. The outboard limbs are the longest, 13" I believe. I had the wood medium limbs originally. The cams are medium as well.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:17 pm 

Sounds like your bow is now a post 2003 medium. Uses a 44 1/2 string. As far as powers limbs, can you see any slashes on the ends?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:35 pm 

Yes, there are slashes. It looks like this ||_|| So I'm assuming 60-80lbs but in can only achieve 71# before the poundage bolt becomes really hard to tighten, even with a socket wrench. At that point there is so maybe 1/8-1/4" gap under the power limb at the riser. Any chance its 50-70?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:03 pm 

There’s always a chance when it comes to Oneidas. The 4 slashes should be 60-80 but who knows. There are so many unexplainable anonolies with these bows I now call them “The Oneida factor”.

Dave

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:20 am 

Sorry about that...

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=1591

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:25 am 

Looks as if you already had all the answers without the link and Dave has you covered on the details. Power limbs should be 60-80's with those marks but sometimes bows just don't max out.

Gerry

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:33 am 

Ok, so my next question would be, how far can I back out the bolts to let the poundage down?

And would there be anything wrong with using 20 strands for my string?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:42 am 

You can back them out enough to get string off. If you mean for lower poundage for shooting, as long as cables have enough tension to keep them on cams your fine. 20’strands will be slower. May have nock fit issues depending on nock and serving size.

Dave

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:59 pm 

Should be okay with 20 strands on a Flemish string... really no need but no real harm either.

Like David I'm not certain what you're meaning with how far can you back the weight bolts out... if you're asking how low can you go with the poundage setting on what should be a 60-80lb bow I'd say no less than 50lbs.

Remember shooting folded pieces of paper from rubber bands stretched around your thumb and forefinger? Rubber band performs best when you're using it to it's maximum capabilities... same with bows. If you're physically able to shoot at 60+ pounds I'd recommend doing it.

Gerry

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:56 pm 

Thank you both Dave and Gerry. I went ahead and cranked it down and got 74#. I then went from a very weak bareshaft to a 1/4" stiff tear. Guess I was getting a false weak. I'll probably shoot 70# because I can and will feel very comfortable attacking the shoulder on deer.

Yes, I was asking about how much was safe to back out bolts for poundage and be able to shoot the bow.

I think I'm going to disassemble the limbs and clean off the threads inside the riser and the limb bolts. Seems there's a lot of grease on them and maybe that's restricting my ability to tighten them down. When I tighten them, should the bottom of the limb pocket be flush to the riser? I'm very curious about this.

And I really appreciate the knowledge and insight. I honestly can't get enough.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:43 pm 

Yes, powers should be flush with riser when tightened all the way down. I don’t think grease would cause it from tightening all the way down. Sometimes limbs ate just st weaker than stated. Or power cables may be a hair long. They are hand made. Even a 1/16tj will have an effect. If you do tear it down, white lithium greas is what I use on limb bolts, sparingly.

Dave

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:58 pm 

with 8125 you can build it plus or minus 2 strands. I would go with the 22 strands and .018 center serving. This should give you a sturdy string and the correct nock fit. If your using it for bowfishing you would need .025. Also when your doing the endloops I do 14 to 16 twists gives you a 1.25 loop which is perfect for most but the newer ones I do 12 twists

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ]