It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:17 pm

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Extreme Eagle 5x4 Elk
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:12 am 

I found a spot with 15 to 20 rubs and elk scat everywhere so I hunted it for 3 weeks but no elk to be seen. I found where they bedded and decided to set up about 20 yards away from the trail leading down into their bedding.

On one particular day after we finally got some rain I hiked all over looking for new signs of elk and ran into a recently killed elk thinking possibly it was the bull I was looking for i went home down on myself.

A friend of mine told me not to give up so I went back in next time around noon slowly making my way into where I had been setting up. On the way in I noticed some scat and a scrape next to a half eaten fern but wasn't sure about it since I was walking in and out of there in the dark. As I get closer to my spot about 10 yards away in front of me and to the left a cow jumps out of the ferns followed by a bull. She goes left he goes forward away from me. I quickly cow call he stops turns and looks towards me, she stops also as I go to draw my bow they take off.

I'll never forget that moment...sounded like thunder and fallen trees just 10 yards away from me. They made a new bedding . that happened to be right where I had been setting up. I waited that day out cow called every so often but nothing ever came back in.

Last day (next day) new game plan... got up at 4:30 in the morning got in there before day light was up. Set up against a tree removing anything that would make noise as I got up.

Sittingt behind the ferns about 20 yards from the trail leading in around 9:30 in the morning with the birds up chirping flying from branch to branch and the squirrels running up and down trees it was hard to distinguish what was what. Hearing some noise that sounded like a squirrel from the hill I focused in towards that .. It stops and starts back up, then it gets closer towards me. I was able to see a tan body through an opening in the dense woods I said s*** to myself and slowly started to stand I got to one knee but the elk came in faster than expected he stopped and decided to eat 20 yards away from me. Standing broadside but behind a triangle of trees formed buy a fallen log and tree against a live tree. Contemplating what to do next... I quickly studied the . and knew I could make the shot. Slowly drawing back looking at the animal and the sleeves of my coat hoping he couldn't hear me. I reached full draw and he's still eating, never noticed me. I anchor, place my dot and let er rip watching the arrow stick him before he could move a muscle.

He went 30 of my steps from where I shot him and down in about 15 seconds with a double lung shot.

Attachments:
2770-320x240.jpeg
2770-320x240.jpeg [ 41.12 KiB | Viewed 99 times ]

Post subject: Re: Extreme Eagle 5x4 Elk
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:21 am 

The body on him was huge. The shot looks far back but I hit him in the middle of his lungs... just higher than center.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:54 am 
Site Admin

Awsome story and hunt. Congradulations :mrgreen:

Oneida Falcon
Oneida Switchblade Prototype

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:43 am 

Great story and nice prize.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:09 pm 

Congrats Juan... nice looking animal!